As we move toward the future, new technical innovations, tools, and skills emerge that allow businesses to compete more effectively within their industry. Finding the best way of doing things is key for ensuring maximum efficiency within your business. But how do businesses find and implement these new tools and skills?
For a long time, businesses have hired additional employees when they need to add skills to their team. However, this is becoming more challenging due to the skills shortage and low unemployment rates.
– U.S. Unemployment Rate: 3.5%
– SHRM’s Skills Gap Report found 75% of recruiters had difficulty finding the right talent for roles due to skill gaps
The solution seems to be working internally to implement upskilling, reskilling, or continual learning among current employees.
Here are some tips to get you started…
To effectively upskill your workforce, you need to consider which of your team’s skills are becoming obsolete due to technology, and which skills are necessary to add to your team to remain competitive in your industry.
- HR professionals can execute an internal Skill Plan by analyzing your current team’s skillsets compared to future skills needed, retirements, organizational changes, technology advancements, and other mutual business and career growth opportunities.
From there, you can set up a plan by Team Member on skill growth opportunities that will elevate their skillset and your business. When thinking about “How” to add in new skills, there are many options. Below, are some of those identified.
- Tuition reimbursement, online educational platforms (Coursera, Udemy, Khan Academy, edX, etc.)
- Mentoring programs, cross-training, job shadowing
- Conferences, Events, Seminars, Webinars, YouTube Videos
- Library of resources (ebooks, training videos, podcasts, articles)
Strengthening your team will ensure that your business stays competitive and is ready for the future. Not only does the investment of upskilling your team create greater business efficiency, but it will also increase your employee retention. Investing in your employees increases their engagement on the job and translates into increased performance and ROI back into the business.
Need help in setting up your Skills Program? HRC is Here for You!
Contact us today for a courtesy consultation to discuss your needs.
Sandy@myhrcgroup.com – Phone: 574-210-9345
4 Common Business Obstacles in 2023
Inflation & Economic Challenges Recently, there’s been a lot of economic uncertainty, and businesses have been advised to prepare for stagnating and shrinking economies worldwide. This is the time to pay extra attention to your budget and consider making...
Top 6 Skill Sets Every Manager Needs in 2023
In recent years, many challenges have come from the changes in the economy and workforce, along with a growing shift to hybrid work. These changes have also required that Companies provide training for their managers to ensure effectiveness of their teams with such a...
Attracting and Retaining Top-Talent in 2023
With the after math of Covid and the fluctuating economy, there has been a dramatic shift in our labor force. There is a growing desire among Americans for jobs that better fit their personal lives than fitting their personal lives into their work schedule. This...